Monday, March 9, 2009

International Woman's Day March 8



It was wrapped in a sheet of newspaper. I opened the gift carefully so nothing would slip out. There, wrapped so humbly, lay a pair of socks, lipstick, and a bar of soap. Anther newspaper bundle was left on my seat in the Land Rover. I opened this one to find perfume, lipstick, nylons and some flowers. Included was a precious handwritten note.
These gifts are very precious to me. They are from my dear ladies who struggle every day just to put bread on the table. (most of them make the bread themselves – no bread machine!)
Wrapping things in newspaper was very common a few years ago when there were no plastic bags in the country. We would get fast food sandwiches, money and even a loaf of bread wrapped in newspaper. I still receive a pair of slippers or some dried fruit wrapped in newspaper. It is one of the things I love about Albania. So simple, no pretense. Using what you have.

1 comment:

Sarah Beth said...

Oh, Aunt Mary! That's SO sweet! I want you to know that I'm praying for you. I LOVE you So much!!

Your loving niece,

Sarah Beth