Friday, September 26, 2008

A Baby is Crying

A baby is crying. No, you can't hear her because she does not yet have a voice. Her mother said she can not go though another pregnancy nor can she feed another child. All I can hear is the baby crying. My face is wet with her tears. I understand that this happens everyday in every country. I just did not want to see it happen to my friend, the mother of my little English students.
I was just starting our first ladies Bible study and in she walked. I was so thrilled that she would attend for the very first time. We kissed cheek to cheek in the traditional way, and her face was clouded with pain. 'I'm pregnant', she uttered. I'm going to have it 'removed', I can't take another pregnancy, another child!' I begged and pleaded offering to take the child myself. In the end the choice is up to her.

A mother is crying. I watched from a distance today as two of my dear friends were in deep conversation. It was obvious that they were discussing a burden the size of a semi-truck. Later, I heard the story. “Please, please could you help me find work. I will do anything. Just enough to buy bread for the kids and I.” I looked at this lady on Sunday and I was surprised at how thin she had gotten over the summer. I understand a little more now. Her husband is gone. He may come back he may not. She is alone. The washer is broke. The kids need food, clothes...

A missionary is crying. Today was suppose to be a celebration. We had our first ladies Bible study! 10 ladies attend, 2 of which are yet unsaved. We ate peanut butter cookies and drank American coffee. The lesson went great, I was able to express my heart in Albanian. The ladies listened and made many comments, good comments. Still, my heart is so heavy. So many broke pieces, so many broken dreams, broken people.
Please pray with me that the Great Physician will hold this dear little baby who does not have a change for life, please pray that He will help this mother crying for help and food, and that He will comfort a heartbroken missionary who can not carry it all alone.

3 comments:

Gini Mincy said...

Hi, Mary,

I am praying for you -- the burden seems so very heavy -- I remember looking over the land and people of India and feeling overwhelmed by the need there.

missills said...

a reader is crying. brought to tears by seeing the need to be more faithful in praying for and keeping in better contact with missionaries so as to be aware of their needs.

Bethany Lynn said...

Missills has expressed it perfectly. May more prayer and better contact be a permanent change in my life.